Matt & I got engaged in New York 4.5 years ago. We came
in December for four and a half days, stayed with my wonderful cousin Leslie
and her kids and walked and walked and walked. We saw just about every site
there was to see. It was just before Christmas and the tree was up, ice skating
was in full force, there were lights and decorations everywhere. We loved it.
2007
We had just Saturday evening and Sunday in New York this
time, but knew that we wanted to make the most of it. Instead of hitting the
‘sites’ like last time, we wanted to take this trip to experience the
neighborhoods. We walked Hells Kitchen, Chelsea, Greenwich Village, the
Tenderloin, Meatpacking District, SoHo, probably more.
Room with a view
My #1 and only thing that I wanted and had to do on NY this trip was to see Highline Park. I can’t
remember where I first heard about it, but had seen numerous articles and
pictures about this 2 mile long park that was recently built, a transformed
raised railroad from the 1920’s. We actually stumbled upon it while on our way
to dinner the first night (Gramercy Tavern, great) and ended up walking the
entire length. It was just as cool as I had imagined. I’ll let the pictures do
the talking, but we discovered it was actually a much faster way to get across
town than walking on the streets that had stoplights, so we did it again the
next morning.
found an unsuspecting walker to take our picture
Our favorite memory from our first trip (besides the getting
engaged piece) was walking across the Brooklyn Bridge on a crisp blue-bird day.
So after stopping at Magnolia Bakery in Greenwich (yum) we caught the subway
over to Brooklyn and walked our way back to Manhattan. The NY subways is
spectacular (not because of anything attractive about it) but for its speed,
convenience and ubiquity. The bridge was still a favorite the second time
around.
Washington Square Park
Freedom Tower, in progress
We met my cousin Leslie and her unbelievably cute children
at Central Park for lunch. We were trying to eat at the Boathouse, which is
right on the pond but the wait was insanely long, and Matt & I had to check
out of our hotel. We ended up grabbing some take out from the café and eating
on a rock. The view was just as splendid. Matt & I indulged while waiting
for them to arrive, and grabbed one of the sooooo cute rowboats. Classic
tourist, but we had a great time.
Sophie, Leslie, Harrison, me
Wrapped up with a stroll through the Hells Kitchen Flea Market
I loved New York at Christmas time but it truly felt like a
different place in June with the weather warm and everything green. Glad we
went back. It was a fantastic week on the East Coast – revisiting New York, and
putting quite a few new states and towns under our belt.


Highline Park looks rad! And you guys are so dang adorable. And maybe I kind of want to see NYC now.
ReplyDelete- V