Thursday, January 28, 2010

Miles & Travel















Many of you know that I/we love to travel. Along with that I (just me, I'm the only insane one) have made a hobby out of frequent flyer miles. It's what happens when your husband has a job that requires twice as many hours of work as yours does (at least this time of year). So I admit it, I have a slight obsession with frequent flyer miles. It's how we got to South America (those were $2000/each plane tickets!). It's how we're getting to Peru in May. Its fantastic!

I try to keep up with all the new offers that come out for a variety of airlines. As we plan more and more trips with our miles people start asking me how I do it so...I thought I would share some new things when they come out.

Now, if you really want to make a hobby out if it, you should keep up with FlyerTalk. It's pretty much the Mecca of miles enthusiasts. (And for those of you laughing at me right now they have 250k members, I am definitely on the least-crazy end of the spectrum).

But if you just think it's kinda cool to get some miles once in a while, read ahead:

There are tons of credit card offers out there that give you anywhere from 25k-35k miles for signing up. But signing up for tons of credit cards can significantly hurt your credit, so I try to stay away from those. Here's my current favorite non-credit card deal.

Chase will give you 25k miles if you sign up for their Continental Airlines checking account. The account is free as long as you have direct depoist going in (I send $5 of my paycheck there). The debit card has a $25 annual fee (don't let them convince you to get the more expensive one, you don't need it to get the miles). You get miles when you use the debit card, but mainly you just think about it as paying $25 to get 25k miles, which is an amazing deal.
Here's the coupon:   make sure you refresh the coupon before printing it, you need the unique offer code.

But it gets even better...

They will ALSO give you another 25k for opening up a business account with them. "But I don't have a business Mackenzie!". I just told them I sell stuff on Craigslist. Which is very true. Let me know if you want some help with this one....I promise it really is easy. Here's the coupon on that one.

If you still need some inspiration to get your butt out the door and head to Chase click here to see how few miles is takes to go some really cool places. Hawaii, the Caribbean, Central America, and Northern South America are all only 35k miles. Europe is only 55k.

DO IT!




More will follow in the coming days/weeks....

1 comment: