Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Romantic Valentines Weekend....NOT

Since Matt has been working weekends and the company he is currently auditing is filing on Tuesday Matt's boss had told him not to make any big Valentines plans because he wasn't sure if they would be working or not. The good news is...Matt didn't have to work at all this weekend!!! (Thanks Brian!)The bad news is....he still had to study because he takes his next CPA exam in just under two weeks.

Don't let the title of the post deceive you. It was actually a nice weekend. We slept in about three hours later than normal on Saturday. Matt made me mochas two mornings in a row. We have eaten all our meals together. These are all anomalies during busy season, so I'm actually quite content. And anyways, this post is actually about our bathroom, not Valentine's Day!

After Ron finished sheet rocking the bathroom a few weeks ago I decided to take on the task of tiling the floor. We had picked out some beautiful black and white marble tiles, and it was time to get them in! Ron was kind enough to leave me in the care of his amazing tiling saw, and an assortment of other tiling tools. My boss Brian was kind enough to not hang up on me on a Saturday morning when I called him with a tiling layout question (he's done a lot of tiling, ok.). I spent two days cutting and laying the tile. Day 2 looks better than Day 1 I will admit. I'm sure Bathroom #2 will look better than Bathroom #1 if I ever get to that point. But all in all I am pretty happy with myself.







Last weekend I grouted and sealed the tile and picked up the door. Thursday Ron came an installed the vanity, toilet and door. A working bathroom!!!



This weekend was an exercise in learning how long the 'finishing touches' take to put in, and a contest to see how many times in one weekend a person could go to Home Depot. I think I hit 8 times. Luckily it's only about 1/4 of a mile away. When I walked in the 5th time today three different employees laughed at me.



We got a shower curtain. We got a curtain rod. I picked out three sets of towel rods and brought them home, and we debated. We put them in. Cleaned everything up. We picked out baseboards and molding. I cut the baseboards and molding (thanks for letting us borrow the chop saw Andy !) I put some pre-stain on the molding. We picked out a stain. Tomorrow I will really do the staining. And then, then ladies and gentlemen we will have a full fledged three bedroom, TWO bath house. We are so excited. And love the new bathroom. And we are contemplating a move downstairs once the rest is finished. haha!
My trusty steed the chop saw.
(Yes, I took wood shop in eighth grade, and that makes me qualified to do this stuff)
(I also took metal shop and learned to weld, just in case you were wondering)

Basebords and molding, chopped and pre-stained

I love this faucet.


I like the soap dispenser too.  :)


1 comment:

  1. WOW! Love it and can't wait to it see in person! Nice to have friends to give advice and loan tools, huh? Maybe next you'll decide to build a new kitchen downstairs, get rid of the upstairs kitchen, and combine the current dining room and kitchen into a larger space? Have you heard of the "mushroom effect"? Once you remodel one part of the house, it looks better than the rest so you keep going til the entire house is done! xo
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete