If you're not into old ruins, just skip on by today. It's fine, I'm not offended.
Ok. We went to Ephesus (Efes in Turkish) for a day even though it was little out of the way, because it's supposed to be some of the best preserved Roman ruins out there. I'm in no position to pass judgment on this, because as far as I know I've never seen Roman ruins outside of Turkey. But it was well preserved, and interesting and all that. Also there were a lot of humans. Which occasionally makes me twitch - but we made do. Ephesus was the second largest city in the Roman empire, about 250,000 people in the 1st century. Enjoy.
We stayed in Selçuk, because Ephesus is just ruins. They had a nice Saturday market. Picnic!
Then we got to Ephesus....
These are the terrace houses. You have to pay an extra $10 to get into them, but if you do Ephesus you should do it.
Ok. We went to Ephesus (Efes in Turkish) for a day even though it was little out of the way, because it's supposed to be some of the best preserved Roman ruins out there. I'm in no position to pass judgment on this, because as far as I know I've never seen Roman ruins outside of Turkey. But it was well preserved, and interesting and all that. Also there were a lot of humans. Which occasionally makes me twitch - but we made do. Ephesus was the second largest city in the Roman empire, about 250,000 people in the 1st century. Enjoy.
We stayed in Selçuk, because Ephesus is just ruins. They had a nice Saturday market. Picnic!
Then we got to Ephesus....
This is Constantine. I think.
These are the terrace houses. You have to pay an extra $10 to get into them, but if you do Ephesus you should do it.
They excavated all these tiny pieces of marble and now they're trying to put them back together...
Library of Celcus.
Seats 44,000. Believed to be the largest outdoor theater in the ancient world.
The harbor used to be right there, but it silted up.
Random exercise equipment on the walk back...
No comments:
Post a Comment