Thursday, December 9, 2010

Havana Part III

We started out the last day in Havana by taking a tour of the Partagas/Cohiba/Romeo y Julietta factory. It was amazing. The whole family went mostly for Matts sake but we all ended up loving it.They make all of the Cuban cigars of all of these brands here and they are all rolled by hand. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside which was a bummer bit it was amazing to watch them making all sorts of different cigars.







Inside the Museum of the Revolution:

(It reads: Corner of the Cretins. That would be Batista, Reagan, Bush HW, and Bush W)

Pieces of a shot down U2 bomber.

Cuban tank used in the revolution

Adrienne being a guerilla with Fidel and Che





Our last night we went to Tropicana a song/dance/cabaret show. Pretty interesting.  


Matt, Adrienne & I all got dragged onstage at the end. You can see Matt and I in this picture if you look closely. :)



Just about everyone that we met was extremely nice and friendly, and all seemed quite excited to have Americans there. While there was certainly state propaganda demonstrating the evils of America the population seemed to have a very different view of things. Everyone we met had a cousin, aunt or uncle in Miami and they all seemed to think it was great that we had made the effort to get there. We had some very interesting conversations with taxi drivers about history, economy, sites to see, America, and Obama that provided a lot of insight. One asked me if I was scared that when I got home Obama would have the keys to my house and throw me in jail for going to Cuba. I told him I was just a little scared, but it was worth it. J

Up next: two days in Trinidad

No comments:

Post a Comment